Yields: 1 9-inch pie
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
4-7 tablespoons (or more) ice water
1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Scatter the butter and shortening over the top of the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the water a few tablespoons at a time and pulse until the dough just comes together. Remove the dough from the machine and lightly knead on a flat surface until it just comes together. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5 cups peeled, pitted, and sliced ripe peaches (sliced about ½-inch thick)
1 pint fresh blackberries
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
3 tablespoons peach eau de vie
¼ cup cornstarch or tapioca
Pie crust (recipe above)
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
¼ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Combine peaches, blackberries, both sugars, sinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, peach eau de vie and cornstarch or tapioca in a large bowl and mix until well combines. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Divide the dough in half and roll each half out on a lightly floured surface to 13-14 inch round. Transfer one of the rounds into the bottom of a 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Spoon the mixture into the pan using a slotted spoon. Add some of the juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Scatter the butter over the top of the filling. Roll up remaining dough on rolling pin and unroll atop peach mixture. Trim edges of both crusts to 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edges over; press to seal. Crimp edges. Cut 6 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top of the pie with the cream and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake on the bottom rack of the oven until the crust is golden and juices bubble thickly through slits, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool pie 3 hours.