4 cups enriched chicken stock or low sodium canned chicken broth or vegetable borth
3 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
1 teaspoon ground Mexican cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons chipotle puree
3/4 cup crème fraiche
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Roasted pumpkin seeds (recipe follows)
1. Bring 3 cups of the stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, honey and chipotle puree. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more stock, if the soup is too thick.
2. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the crème fraiche and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix together the remaining crème fraiche and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until combined. 4. Ladle the soup into four bowls; drizzle with the cinnamon crema and sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Makes 1 cup
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Toss the seeds with the oil and season with salt to taste. Spread the seeds evenly on a baking sheets and bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing occasionally, until they are lightly golden brown and crisp. Let cool. Can be made 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container.