6 tablespoons chicken fat
3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
4 large eggs
¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons seltzer water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup unsalted matzo meal
1. Heat the chicken fat over medium heat, add the chives and cook for 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Whisk together the eggs, dill, seltzer, sugar, salt and pepper until combined. Add the matzo meal and chicken fat/chive mixture and stir until combine. Cover well and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Form the mixture into 8 equal size balls, about 1 ¾ ounces each, add to the water, reduce the heat to simmer, cover and cook until very tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add to the chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes before serving.
2 large yellow onions, quartered
3 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 small bunch parsley
10 sprigs fresh thyme
1 3 lb chicken
3 lbs chicken bones, neck included
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh dill
1. Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and add enough cold water to cover by 2-inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, skimming the scum from the stock with a ladle, every 15 minutes, for 3 hours. Strain into a large bowl and discard the solids.
2. Transfer to a large saucepan and cook until reduced by half. Season with salt, pepper and freshly chopped dill.