Braised Lamb Tiwa Taco with Ancho Chile Jam
3 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons dry milk powder
2 teaspoons salt
5 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
1 ½ cups water
2 cups canola oil, for frying
1.Combine flour, baking powder, milk powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut the shortening in until the mixture is crumbly, add the water and mix until the dough comes together. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Cover with a dishcloth and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Heat the oil in a large high-sided sauté pan until it reaches 360 degrees F. Divide the dough into eight pieces and roll each piece out into a 4-inch circle. Fry the bread in the oil until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a sheet pan lined with paper towels and season with salt.
1 leg of lamb, boned and trimmed of fat
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large carrot, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 large Spanish onion, diced
6 cups homemade chicken stock
1. Preheat grill. Brush lamb with oil and season with ancho, salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until golden brown.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the lamb from the grill and place in a large roasting pan. Add the carrots, celery, onion and chicken stock, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 1 ½- 2 hours, or until fork tender.
3. Remove the lamb to a platter and shred the meat with a fork. Strain the cooking liquid into a medium saucepan and cook until reduced to a sauce consistency, add the lamb to the sauce to heat through.
Ancho Chile Jam
6 ancho chiles, soaked in warm water for 1 hour, stem and seeds removed
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1. Remove 2 of the ancho chiles from the soaking liquid and place in a blender with a little of the soaking liquid and blend until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
2. Chop the remaining anchos and place in the bowl with the puree. Add the brown sugar, molasses and mix to combine. Season with salt to taste.
1/4 pound watercress
1 cup crème fraiche
½ cup grated Cotija cheese
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
Place each fry bread on a plate. Place watercress on each taco then top the watercress with the lamb, ancho jam, cheese, crème fraiche and green onions.